Children's ttrpg adventures

I’ve been recommended a swath of children’s ttrpg systems and they have their faults and strengths.

Of the provided adventures I’ve seen, they all have the traditional problems of linear design and forcing prewritten events and overly long box text. They either cater to a moderns rules and character sheet mindset, or those who have never run games before (and therefore are overly written)

I want some good scenarios I can drop into a children’s game as needed. Well written with osr sensibilities.

Anyone come across an adventure that’s actually written for an osr referee?

2 Likes

@DreamingDragonslayer wrote Belly of the Fishy Beast for Maze Rats, though there is a “universal” version as well.

2 Likes

The Waking of Willowby Hall is an easy recommendation. ran it for my cousins and they loved it.

2 Likes

How open are you to modifying something not necessarily written for kids?

Waking of Willowy Hall was already recommended and was my first thought of something that could work well for the right age.

I was also just looking at What Child Is This, which has a premise that could work well for kids, but a few encounters on the table you might want to modify for certain ages (e.g, potential child sacrifice). It’s written for 5E, but would actually be great for any OSR system after converting the stats.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks. I’m willing to modify. Would be happy to see something fast paced, engaging, and good for short attention spans :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ran a Pokemon adventure game using Zack Arnston’s Shadows as the core. :slight_smile: We also played one I wrote based on Lego figures, and one that used Basic D&D. Later we played Dungeon World and 5e. I’d say it was all pretty successful as now, 18 years later, my son games several times a week with his friends. I guess my point is, don’t sweat the system. As long as it doesn’t have adult themes inappropriate for your kids and the mechanics aren’t totally beyond their ken, they will have fun if you are.

1 Like

The Labyrinth RPG has some pretty kid-friendly encounters. The game itself would probably work well with kids too.

3 Likes