Non-violent quests/adventures

THIS! This is absolute gold.

The framing is important because the question “how to make nonviolent adventures” is already loaded. No shade on the op.

So what is the opposite of violent? That kinda centers that violence is the default.

A little more to the practical side, I find that

• game systems where conflict is center stage in their mechanics will push game sessions towards conflict by default
  • scenarios where players are dropped in dangerous or uncertain situations where a single entity seems to be the cause of a problem immediately tend to create a mind set of “let’s remove that problem”
  • settings that encourage players to go about butting into other people’s lives and solving their problems for them is also an issue - remind them they are protagonists on their stories, but NPCs for the rest of the universe
6 Likes

I’m working on a 1-pager where the players take on the role of pioneer artists (cubists by implication, but not requirement), who are trying to achieve something with their art. Pitted against them are traditionalist critics who are trying to undermine their achievements and misrepresent their work.

I always get excited when I see people talk about non-combat adventures, and then I get instantly disappointed when people respond with “What, you mean like traps and puzzles?”

3 Likes