Procedural Adventures

I’m seeking suggestions for adventure modules that rely heavily on procedurally generated narrative play. I’m not so interested (for my current purposes) in standalone games or in systems for developing open-ended worlds. Rather, I’m looking for modules with a strong thematic focus that use procedural techniques for developing the shape of their narratives (and/or maps).

On my radar at present: Rasp of Sand and Stygian Library. Any others folks would recommend?

5 Likes

Gardens of Ynn (also by Emmy Allen), Veins of the Earth by Patrick Stuart, Downcrawl, Pound of Flesh for Mothership (ship generator yo), Perilous Wilds (not a module I know).

Also Carapace from Goblin’s Henchmen.

5 Likes

Perilous Wilds is excellent stuff, for any (fantasy) game.

2 Likes

This may fall into your exclusion category, but I would still recommend Yoon Suin. Even though its not an adventure module, the material for generating adventure context, a patron, and other materials to compel players is a fantastic example of how one can provide the groundwork for compelling adventure.

3 Likes

Ooh, this looks particular enough in its setting that it does seem helpful, thanks.

Ah, this reminds me that I have a copy of Skycrawl sitting on my shelf. I need to check that out too.

I really like The Maze: The Maze - Axo Stories | DriveThruRPG.com

Jesse

1 Like

You could always AHEM check out my Cairn depthcrawl funnel about dying in a pipe organ though it’s still getting laidt out. :eyes:

2 Likes

To clarify: Dead Planet has the derelict ship generator, and Pound of Flesh has a space station generator :sparkles:

2 Likes

This is not at all what you asked for, but I have found that the random tables in the GM section of Whitehack are really good for generating inspiration for interesting situations. This is more in the vein of Perilous Wilds than an actual adventure though.

2 Likes

I’m interested in Rasp of Sand myself but haven’t got a copy yet.

I will pitch Beneath the Canals by Michael T Lombardi, Sinereous

It’s a one page (two sides) “zini” for designing an under-the-city delve. It is set in his setting of Pentola but really only one piece leans on that.

While I’m at it I’ll mention there is a whole collection of related “zinis” by some great names: Beneath the… by Michael T Lombardi et al. [PDF/iPad/Kindle] (it is on leanpub so he can do automatic profit sharing with all contributors and allow for sliding scale pricing but with a minimum).

2 Likes

Oh hell yes. Already terrified thinking of the ways characters might meet their end inside a giant musical instrument.

1 Like

I love this, thanks everyone for the amazing links.

1 Like

Almost the entirety of Ultraviolet Grasslands is procedurally generated and anti-canonical, with even major factions described through a table or rumors that you decide the truth of for your version of the world. Luka wrote a good article about the style: Anti Canon Worlds and the UVG – Wizard Thief Fighter

This is a bit of a different scale than the self-contained adventures that most posts in this thread are about.

3 Likes

I’ll check this out. Had a great time with UVG recently, playing co-op with one other friend and using the book as a sort of GM emulator. But I’d still like to get it to the table with a full group.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by the system for passing along generational experiences, which seems like it might efficiently collapse player knowledge and character knowledge when bumping into previously encountered areas. Will probably have more to say once my copy arrives…!

2 Likes

Lots of great recs in this thread. I enjoyed the weird world of “Museum of Loss” by TorTheVic

3 Likes