So a while back I ‘acquired’ the pdf for wotc’s Icewind Dale module and have been poking through it since. While I consider much of its content to be sub-par (and horribly layed out besides) or just not to my preferences, there is enough in there that I felt like it’d be fun to do a broad remake of the adventure! I’ve got bits and peices done already, and I figured the best place to chronicle it would be here!
ICEWIND DALE : REWORK
In the cold north, over the mountains, sandwiched between the grand glacier and the grinding sea ice is the icewind dale. A desolate region of tundra, sparse forest, and glacial lakes. The region has been inflicted with a curse of everlasting darkness by the Frostmaiden, which is slowly driving the locals to ruin. The only thing keeping ten-towns (barely) afloat is the chardalyn-rush, though that’s brought problems of its own in the form of greedy mining company agents, and fervent prospectors…
I thought that as it stood chardalyn was a bit boring, so I tried to rework it to give it a solid aesthetic/gimmick, and then coupled it with a gold-rush deal to spice things up (and play into the vaguely western reorientation I’m going for (which I based of a singular line of description which described the arcane brotherhood as acting like ‘gunslingers’ despite never supporting this))
– A glassy black metal, found in deposits across the dale. Easily worked with and conductive to magics. But it has corrupting health affects, sucking the warmth out of surroundings, over-handling can lead to necrotic cold-burns. The metal is highly sought after by southerners.
The Frostmaiden -
Titular though she is, I found the goddess rather lacking, being a bit of a generic villainess with a somewhat discordant (to me at least) aesthetic. So I figured a better route would be to go full Ice Queen for her,
– A regal figure, elegant, courteous. Utterly lacking in emotion. She has decided to do away with seasons, which are always destroying her beautiful ice and snow, and thus has banished the sun from the sky. Casting all her realm into perpetual twilight. Some petitioners from ten-towns have tried to reach her palace atop the high glacier, but none have made it so far. On nights that the auroras dance, you can see her surveying her realm from her flying chariot, pulled by four snarling snowy owlbears.
– Wants : Perpetual beauty, to stop disruption, proper respect
– Servants : Snow Wraiths, the Black Wolves
The Curse -
Giving a specific timeframe made the curse feel weird for me, I think it works better more loosely.
– The Frostmaiden has forbidden the sun to rise upon her realm, casting all into perpetual twilight. Slowly the waters have frozen, animals starved, and plants died. If curse is not soon broken the dale will become an icy waste devoid of all life but the toughest lichens.
Might rework the Frostmaiden further, there should be more hooks to interact with her with, and more ways to convince her to break the curse, or trick her, or so on. Also Chardalyn could be a bit better, I feel like it could be more ‘corruption-y’? Further details to come as well, specially on the Arcane Brotherhood. Please give me your own ideas and suggestions!