The Cubies' RPG: Seeking Feedback on a 1-page RPG

Hey gang, I’m working on this little creativity challenge RPG. I know it’s not really in the OSR vein, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to solicit some feedback.

I’d appreciate any feedback you’d be willing to provide on the mechanics, layout, design, anything.

This was my first attempt at using anything other than MS Paint. All my previous work has just been converting Word docs to PDFs, so it’s far from polished.

This is based on an old satirical picture book made in reaction to Cubism making its way to the states (link). The people making the book (and the art used in this rpg) thought Cubism was stupid, and it felt like a fun opportunity to create something unique.

I’m hoping that on the challenging mode, the game will play on enough that people have to start making iterations of ideas and actually riff on one another’s ideas. It can’t actually approximate the experience of being in a creative collective, but it can at least hint at it.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Hard to tell about the actual play, or “what happens”, because of the vague structure. That’s not a bad thing in itself, because you’re describing a process and those are hard to understand by just looking, but is there a moment of play or interaction between the participants?

I don’t know on which space that I should start.

You only have the possibility to move vertically if the d4 shows 1-2 (alt. d6 shows 5-6) or if the d4 shows 4 (alt. d6 shows 1). Seems like pretty slim chances to finish; is this a game having your art as a never ending process? [OK, I realized later that there were two modes for playing - I was only looking at the Challenge Mode]

[Given my revelation, I think the compass - or it’s mechanics - should have a different, and clearer, way of presenting itself.]

What happens if there are several participants, and one finish?

I like how someone can (seemingly) be at the top and then be at the bottom or vice versa.

I also like how much space there is in the document, and the art.

Always a treat to see a game as a one pager, because it forces the maker to really think about the structure of play and strip away everything else. It’s like a raw experience. I don’t certain how the game enforces iterations (rolling 0?), collaborative brainstorming, or even living in a collective. Perhaps it’s because some of the terminology, like “Lyalls” and “stand-patterns”, is flying over my head.

I quite like the idea, but i am actually not really sure whether you imagine narrating the dice results in fiction?

Excellent points, both! You have my thanks. I’ll work to remedy these issues and update it for added clarity. Honestly, I can’t express how much these observations helped! I also greatly appreciate the kindness and generosity with which you’ve offered your feedback.

@Rickard

is there a moment of play or interaction between the participants?

Yes, and it obviously needs a bit of clarity. The primary narrative play should be the player describing the piece of art their Cubie is creating. There’s an opportunity there for the other players to ask questions and offer suggestions, but I don’t want to spell it out too much. My hope is for minimal prescription. But, I do now think this may need more context.

I don’t know on which space that I should start.

Wow, yeah, I just didn’t include that! Easy fix. (the middle space “Art”)

You only have the possibility to move vertically if the d4 shows 1-2 (alt. d6 shows 5-6) or if the d4 shows 4 (alt. d6 shows 1). Seems like pretty slim chances to finish; is this a game having your art as a never ending process? [OK, I realized later that there were two modes for playing - I was only looking at the Challenge Mode]

Hmmm. I’m going to have to think about how to handle this. The idea is that once you get to the top space, you can win with an Up or an Up-Right/Up-Left. I need to spell that out a tad more clearly. Thank you!

[Given my revelation, I think the compass - or it’s mechanics - should have a different, and clearer, way of presenting itself.]

You’re right. I’d hoped to get both modes of play in there, but it may be a bit of a stretch, especially considering my limited graphic design skills.

What happens if there are several participants, and one finish?

My intention is for everyone to share the same movement. A single unit moving across the canvas. I need to make that clear and you’ve helped me understand that.

I like how someone can (seemingly) be at the top and then be at the bottom or vice versa.

That’s not what I wanted to communicate. I meant it more as a horizontal motion, not vertical. I need to work on that. Unless it IS better this way… hmmmmm

I also like how much space there is in the document, and the art.

This is exceptionally good to hear. I was worried it was cramped or that the (public domain) art wouldn’t land. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

how the game enforces iterations (rolling 0?), collaborative brainstorming, or even living in a collective. Perhaps it’s because some of the terminology, like “Lyalls” and “stand-patterns”, is flying over my head.

In the Challenge Mode, players are going to be at it for a while. The iterative element would come from the game continuing past the players’ initial burst of good ideas. This could lead do “and now one, but like this. And now another one, but like this,” which is an essential element of the creative process. Similarly, running out of ideas can inspire players to pick up from each other in much the same way the Cubists did. Stein poetry was inspired by Picasso. She didn’t try to write poems that looked like Picasso paintings, she tried to render the elemental properties of Cubist representation in the written word. I’m dreaming of this game being able to get a few groups, or even just one player, to someday glance a bit of that experience.

The Lyalls were the folks that made the book “The Cubies’ ABC” and referred to themselves as stand-patters. Their just the bad guys of this game. I should probably expound on this to avoid confusion.

@Selhan

I quite like the idea, but i am actually not really sure whether you imagine narrating the dice results in fiction?

I don’t imagine that taking place. The RP elements would be in the describing of the creation of each individual piece of art, asking about it, making suggestions, and possibly the other players deciding whether or not a particular piece is worth a re-roll. After that, play moves along to the next Cubie. I’ll see if I can fit a bit of explanation about that in there. Thank you for the astute observation!

I don’t think you need to do that. I missed that now, but would had discovered that during play. I like how you can go in two different directions horizontally.

“The Cubies” as a collective, and separate “Cubie” from that as a specific entity was what confused me.

If you like, given the new information, I could restructure the text to give an example to make it into a clearer structure of play.

If you like, given the new information, I could restructure the text to give an example to make it into a clearer structure of play.

I’d appreciate that or any other suggestions you’d be willing to give.

Here’s the in-process revision I’ve got going. I’ve decided to split it into two games, one for the warm-up mode and one for the challenge mode. This one is the challenge mode sheet.

You are The Cubies: a collective of artists collaborating and inspiring one another.
Give your Cubie a name and a medium, such as painting, poetry, sculpture, cinematography or ttRPG design.
On your turn, describe what your Cubie is creating, their process, and what they’re trying to achieve.

Each space on the Canvas presents an Incubation for you to riff off of.
Answer at least 2 questions posed by the other Cubies about your new piece of art and make at least 1 revision based on their suggestions.
Roll a d6 (Your attempt to capture the impossibilities of reality within the confines of your medium).

Roll a d4 (the Lyalls and stand-patters attempts to cling to tradition and misrepresent your work).
Subtract the d4 from the d6 to discover how your art moves the Cubies across the Canvas.

If your Cubie’s creation is interpreted as epitomizing, innovating, or subverting the current Incubation in a way that is interesting, you may re-roll one of the dice for a new result.

Compare the roll result with the Compass to determine which space on the Canvas all the Cubies move to.

If The Cubies escape the Canvas in any of the 3 upward directions from Immense Intuition, their art will change the world.
If they exit the Canvas in any of the 3 downward directions from Xit, their art will be forgotten.

Exiting the Canvas in any other direction will see the Cubies reappear on the Incubation that makes the most sense on the other left/right side of the Canvas.

A great improvement right there. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

And just like that, she’s published!

3 Likes