What with the Gauntlet (RPG) Forums being shut down in August

…would it be a good time to put on a little “recruitment” drive to encourage people of an NSR mind to come over this The Cauldron?

See The Gauntlet Forums Are Closing - Announcements - The Gauntlet Forums

4 Likes

Only if it came from someone who was active there. Otherwise it isn’t our place!

Our community rules were inspired from theirs, btw.

1 Like

Ok, so a message from one or two people who are on active on both sites? I’ll bet there are some here. (I’m not what I’d call ‘active’ on either - I’m more of a passive participant - so I’m not sure how much weight a recommendation from me would hold on either site).

I’m just thinking that I bet there’s a load of crossover. And what with this site having a smaller number of participants, maybe a lot of Gauntlet people don’t even know about it but might happily gravitate.

1 Like

There are already some folks (like @yoshi) who were active on both, but I’m not assuming any of them would be willing. The truth is I wish nothing more for this website to become more active, it just simply hasn’t happened! If even 10% of the discord (including me haha) would post on a regular basis, it would be a lot more active. Perhaps now is the time.

3 Likes

Hmm yeah. I posted on the Gauntlet forums fairly recently and got a limited response (to the sort of question that I think would have got a healthy response while back). So maybe the horse has already bolted, and people have drifted away from that space.

It does feel like a matter of effectively promoting this site more. What with the Gauntlet forums closing down and a bunch of TTRPG-related Subreddits closing up shop, I see a lot of frustrated and saddened indie RPG people casting around for somewhere else to go. Usually the only recommendations are for Discord servers but those suggestions are almost universally met with comments regarding Discord’s lack of support for navigable, long-form discussion. And Discourse is a great platform for just that. So I think it’s “just” promotion.

My contribution is that I’m going to try to start posting more here, and linking people to the site.

3 Likes

I think a lot of the gauntlet community would appreciate it here, but any hesitation is gonna come from some perceived, irreconcilable difference between storygames and OSR (whatever either of those are). Hopefully they’ll start to filter in! A mix of both communities sounds reinvigorating for everyone :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yeah it’s times like this that you see that these labels are just divisive. It’s worth us all taking note and remembering this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Much in agreement on the divisive labels, @Ben_M.

It seems the site’s been taken down. I took the liberty of archiving the discussions here.

If you have links to the old Gauntlet, you just need to replace the domain name forums.gauntlet-rpg.com with gauntlet-archive.github.io. After that, most of them should still work.

I took the opportunity to start my own forum called Wynwerod, which is different in approach both from The Cauldron and The Gauntlet. I won’t post the link here out of respect for Yochai, unless he gives his assent.

1 Like