Your favourite micro-rulesets, mods and MOSAIC

Lately, I’ve been getting interested in “RPG mods”, bits you can just attach to a game and they work, more or less on their own.

For example:

I’m looking for these modular, “1-page” little mods for games that you can pop in and out of any system.
More specifically, the ones you actually use and love.

6 Likes

I have used this to run a sea adventure oneshot and it generated lots of fun situations: BASTIONLAND: Running a Tight Ship

I also used the sea travel procedure from Electric Bastionland, which is modular and the simplest I’ve ever come across.

One i also have started using is this rule for languages which I talk about here: The Secret Game - Il Gioco Segreto: Roleplaying Languages and Magic as Skill
For intelligent monsters/NPCs I roll a d6 to randomly determine their level of fluency in common

1 Like

Here’s one I like!
Spell research from Telecanter. Reveal the text of a spell’s functioning over time, as the characters research it.

Also, a generalisation of Splintering Shields and Blades’ Special Protection: An item that is consumed to negate one specific kind of harm: A shield that breaks to block a melee weapon, or a trinket that negates one curse.

I put out this tweet-length death save system and I’m pretty proud of it. I’d love to hear if anyone gives it a try at the table:
https://twitter.com/ClovenPineGames/status/1404909918977658884
A little death save system you can add to any game:
When you have a brush with death, roll a d20. On a 1, you die. On any other result, you scrape by. Then, downgrade your death save die to a d12.
Each time you survive, roll a smaller die next time: d20>d12>d10>d8>d6>d4>a coin

3 Likes

So… I’ve started to treat all rules like Mosaic…

But if there is one thing I will use in EVERY game it’s ICRPG’s timers mechanic.

1 Like

Tell me more. What is ICRPG, and what is the timers mechanic?

Quite similar to Clocks in Blades or Apocalypse World, no?

ICRPG is a d20 game called “Index Card RPG”, and unless I’m mistaken they’re “clocks” which tick down to a more significant, dramatic event. Please reply to this, anyone, if I got it wrong.

The big difference between ICRPG timers and BITD clocks is that timer are dice that you roll and then physically turn as they tick down. This means it’s always possible that the bad thing happens in one turn as opposed to clocks which are fully under the discretion of the DM. You also don’t generally use timers to track progress like you do with clocks.

I use clocks for long term things that players might have more control over and timers for short high tension things that are mainly out of the players hands. (And sometimes process tracks too)

1 Like