Intervew with Meg & Vincent Baker (compiled from the NSR Discord)

NSR:

Coming in with another cliché one:

You can bring three TTRPGs to a deserted island where you’ll have, let’s say, 3-4 other people with you. Which ones do you bring?

Meguey:

Ars Magica 2nd edition (Jonathan Tweet & Mark Rein-Hagen)
Primetime Adventures (Matt Wilson)
Under Hollow Hills (Meguey & Vincent Baker)

Vincent:

It’s a funny challenge, because you know I’m going to be making new games just for us, and my big concern is, how much playtesting of my early-stage halfbaked game ideas are my 3-4 friends going to tolerate? Probably not that much.
But anyway I need to choose games that we can’t just freeform or recreate — games where the preexisting text of the game plays an important role. I agree with Meg about Under Hollow Hills but for one of our games, I’m going with Otherkind Dice. Ars Magica (forgive me) I’d rather redesign. Maybe Swords Without Master by Epidiah Ravachol, that game’s really fun and I don’t think we could recreate the phases right. And honestly I’m kind of thinking Burning Wheel, because round about year 4 everybody will be sick of lightweight games and ready to commit to something with some heft.

NSR:

Question I’ve been ruminating on for a bit: why the need for an Emcee/referee role in a game designed to be improvisational? Why not group prompts and consensus from that, or some other approach?

Meguey:

Why not indeed! Give it a try! There are games out there that do that; my favorites are The Quiet Year (Avery Alder), Fall of Magic (Ross Cowman) and Treehouse Dreams (Greypawn).
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/treehouse-dreams

NSR:

I’ve heard that a lot of well known game designers from the forge era, who were pushing hard against flaws or gaps in d&d or issues in the play culture of d&d, are sometimes going back to Basic/Expert D&D and playing that again - why do you think that happens, when before it seemed folks were “done” with or had “graduated” beyond d&d?

Meguey:

I would say it’s not “going back”, it’s playing a diverse array of games.

D&D is fun. It’s good at what it does, and if you sign up for that, you will have a blast, even if it’s a nostalgia-fueled blast. What’s not fun is trying to make it be all things to all people, and whats really not fun is having other people try to enforce that and shut down new games or new ideas about play as though that somehow takes away from their fun. There are more humans on the planet now than at any other time in history, we have an exponentially easier time connecting with folks who have a similar schedule and interest, and there’s thousands upon thousands of games available a few clicks away.

As Vincent said, about the Forge and D&D, it was not an adversarial or confrontational relationship at the start, it was just “Wow pizza is good, but what if also salads?” The food-fight and name-calling came later.

I hope, and I think this server is a sign that hope is well-founded, that we are all moving forward to a gaming buffet with less anxiety and judgement that someone somewhere might be enjoying something else.

Vincent:

I’ve heard that a lot of well known game designers from the forge era, who were pushing hard against flaws or gaps in d&d or issues in the play culture of d&d, are sometimes going back to Basic/Expert D&D and playing that again - why do you think that happens, when before it seemed folks were “done” with or had “graduated” beyond d&d?

I think that’s not quite right. It’s hard to believe now, but back in the Forge days, D&D didn’t have much of a play culture. None of us took D&D very seriously or pushed back against it much at all, it was really the World of Darkness / Shadowrun / GURPS type games of the 90s that we disliked. 3e was barely building steam. Pathfinder came out in the last years of the Forge. The worst people in the OSR hated the Forge, but that was pretty one-sided.

I played basic D&D for the first time in 2008, in a group entirely of Forge friends, and it was one of the immediate inspirations for Apocalypse World. I ran a short-lived OSR game sometime after that, part of a small but genuine OSR movement at the Forge. We rediscovered D&D at the same time everybody else did!

NSR:

If we’re still able to post Qs: Since DitV isn’t available, and you’ve given permission (whether legally needed or not) to KN Obaugh to present DOGS as a setting-nonspecific permutation of the rules, have you had a look at the way DOGS is presented and do you have any opinions on whether the (are they minor? major?) changes to the original mechanics are ideal? Is there anything that it missed?

Vincent:

I haven’t looked at it, no. My guess is that I’d find the changes annoying, so I don’t really want to know about them. And yeah, I’m sure that it missed some important implications of the way the mechanics play, since pretty much everybody who’s adapted DitV to a different setting has missed them!
(In play, DitV’s dice mechanics habituate you to admitting that your enemies have a point, gradually undermining your characters’ convictions. This is good for a game where the PCs are naive villains who’ll come to question their purpose and struggle to resolve the contradictions they face. It’s not good for many other purposes.)
(This is where I’m stalled out in the sequel.)

Vincent:

Good night, everybody! This has been a real pleasure today.

Meguey:

G’night folks! Any questions remaining above, we will try to get to tomorrow!

NSR:

Thanks so much!

NSR 2:

Creators don’t get enough recognition or praise so I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to you both from the bottom of my heart. Your work has had huge impact on me and keeps inspiring me to not only play ttrpgs, but design and publish my own. Thank you for all your hard work and creativity and like many others I look forward to your next game!

NSR 3:

What a treat. Thanks for sharing your time with us!

My wife often designs with me, and our discussions can get quite spirited as well. As you said, wouldn’t want to live there. But it is exhilarating.

NSR 4:

Thank you! This was great.

trashed_tabletop:

Hey Vincent and Meguey! Would it be okay if I compiled your answers here into a public forum post on the Cauldron? So that this AMA is more accessible and better-preserved?
I’ve done a similar thing with Sean McCoy and Luke Gearing’s recent AMAs here, if you want to see what your compilation would look like.

Meguey:

Sure, thanks for asking!

This concludes the AMA.