Is there "Happy" NSR?

I know, sounds weird. All the games I know are gritty, dark, murderous. PCs are Knaves not heroes etc. Right now the trend seems to be to go dark and twisted. And I think that fits well with a certain playstyle.
Many are somewhere in the middle. However I prefer “lighter” games. Beyond the Wall being my favourite of the OSR games. Are there others I missed? I don’t want to hold hands and sing kumbaya, but something brighter and optimistic then the average OSR game would be nice.

13 Likes

My players tend towards lighter, happier, goofier stuff. Less going around fighting things (although there’s some of that) and more finding talking mountains and insisting they’re friends now.

I wrote Brighter Worlds to support that, in the sense that this exact table of people is who I had in mind while I was designing. I’m not sure I’m doing a ton in the rules that would specifically push a neutral table in that direction though. I think the tone, class abilities, and Evlyn Moreau artwork might help carry the happier feel but I’m not entirely sure.

SRD here: https://brighterworldsrpg.com/
PDF here: https://awkwardturtle.itch.io/brighter-worlds

11 Likes

Definitely! I personally like to run what I call ‘Ghibli but the action-adventure parts of Ghibli’ games! And there’s defiantly lots of room for people to make fun new games with less grim tones. In fact I’d love to see them.

5 Likes

Does the system really make a difference for you on this front? I would think that the tone at the table is more dependent on the adventure (with the exception of games that don’t rely on prepared adventures, like PbtA stuff).

5 Likes

I agree with @flyrefi that most systems associated with NSR would support less grim gritty vibes. And I also see what you mean @Chaosmeister that the vibe of the artwork and implied setting is often darker in these games.

But I think even ‘classic NSR games’ (loool) like ItO and EB can be pushed in a more lighthearted direction. If you emphasize the weird and wondrous and de-emphasize the desperation and debt, you can end up with something more strange and probably a bit humorous, than grim and gritty.

I think a whole lot of Troika! material pushed in this direction as well. Not necessarily shying away from the horrible, but much more about the weird and the absurd than the awful.

5 Likes

I feel this post. It’s why I try to make my things more light-hearted.

3 Likes

Thank you for this, it is in itself a very cool game, I like it a lot!

@flyrefi @Huffa For me, yes. I am on the spectrum and have a very hard time separating a game from the presentation. Also if magic is a corrupting force, the gods are malevolent and death and dismemberment and scars have a random table then it’s not going to work for me right now. Troika is a good one indeed. A game can tackle the horrible, but it should be what the characters face and overcome, not what the characters are. I believe early Earthdawn would fit the bill here from a setting standpoint. People emerge full of hope from a horrible time and the characters try to be heroic by following their chosen path. The world is one worth saving and reclaiming, but there is a lot of darkness in it still.

It might just be the current trend that floods my feeds with “Look at this game, even more despicable and grittier with more dismemberment options!” right now. I totally get the whole “Why would happy people go into a dungeon” spiel, but for me its played out. I want more positivity and characters doing the right and moral and good thing. Mostly because everything I write ends up darkish itself, and I just want a change of pace that does not completely go into “pastoral RPG lets share a tea and talk about our feelings” space.

4 Likes

I have been thinking of doing a island-hopping campaign that’s just really chill. I made this jamboard for it:

https://jamboard.google.com/d/1eUT0qBTlpLBo1XXxX9R1KW_bHy_gYW-AcEtFUVBovJ4/edit?usp=sharing

3 Likes

To expand a bit, I was thinking of making it about airplane racing and exploration. Lots of colorful environments, sorta like Sable and an emphasis on people and culture.

2 Likes

Ultraviolet Grasslands is happy!
Electric Bastionland is happy, really!

Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods is not only happy, it’s quite funny.

9 Likes

I like more swashbuckled-y games for that reason they’ve got that room for motivation based in like debt or want for treasure or stuff, but a much more fun and cheery tone. Honestly there’s not enough of em in my opinion, hmmm maybe I should make one (instead of just running em).

2 Likes

I am a little tired of the typical OSR “The Land Where Everything Is Really Weird And Bad” setting. They kind of gel together in my head.

I ran a game of Knave set in the Ninth World of Numenera a while back. I thought it was a good old-school type setting, but full of more wonder than horror, and with characters who at least partly want to reclaim lost knowledge for the good of humanity.

5 Likes

Like many (apparently!), I too get bored with the endless grimdark nom-nom-nomfest of much indie design. To paraphrase The Incredibles, when everyone is utterly miserable, no one will be utterly miserable…That being said, here are a few more concrete thoughts about these issues. Apologies in advance for heretically mixing up OSR and NSR in my prose.

Some time ago I had a bit of an epiphany about play cultures (rather, other people had already had the epiphany, and I got around to reading about it). It involves ideas caught up between two different online conversations:
Six Cultures of Play:

Flavors of D&D:

and
https://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23797

These discussions drove home a few points for me:

• the archetypal OSR playstyle, including its oft-vaunted lethality (notwithstanding its real benefits, many of which I value highly) is NOT a true representation of the universal Ur-form of roleplaying in the early days, before the great fall from grace.
  • if you want to care about who can boast historical precedence, the ‘trad’ style has arguably as much clout as the OSR (dare I say NSR too).
  • aesthetic tastes in gaming, including things like the edginess and amoral grayness of much current play, shift with the winds of cultural change over time.
  • Although I enjoy some of the grittier stuff for a one-shot, my long-term play preferences gravitate a lot toward the so-called “Paladins and Princesses” or “Misfits and Mayhem” styles, rather than some of the styles that are more commonly touted in OSR contexts.
  • And that’s fine. Whatever vibe currently dominates player pop culture (even in an indie niche) needn’t determine my own preferences.

Anyway. I found these a helpful set of articulations of the real diversity of taste on these issues, across the history of the hobby.

7 Likes

Yooo! I love the inclusion of the carbuncle! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This is right on! Not only are Gundobad and the sites he links to correct about this, it’s demonstrable, from the earliest D&D zines, that the earliest D&D players mostly did not use the “OSR” priorities. Even the idea of “grim and weird” that has come to predominate as the OSR aesthetic (and which is the topic of this thread) is very far from the prevailing tone of many of the earliest D&D players’ games–which could be pretty darn silly and inconsistent by our concepts of fantasy adventure today: elevators in dungeons, wandering ninjas and rabid dogs in dungeons, characters turned into giant cockroaches, lots of breaking of the fourth wall, and more along these lines. After all, the earliest players were weaving new genres out of various old materials.

If I can audaciously quote myself from a year and a half ago:

OSR, then, was not old-school. It was innovation clad in retro gear, like so many other pop culture products, like “punk bands” in the 2000s. OSR was a “new-school” rejection of current mass-marketed trends. It found inspiration in older iterations of D&D that antedated the features OSR proponents disliked. This was not possible without the Open Game License that Wizards of the Coast created, giving entrepreneurs the right to repackage and resell old goods. But nostalgia was a powerful source of appeal.

Writing this kind of thing, that “OSR” is a misnomer, earned me the label of “revisionist” for a few vocal OSR fans, but my point was that the OSR is “revisionist” if anything is. It overwrote the actual written record with its own priorities, to promote itself against the Big Corporation.

The first people that said “the OSR is dead,” in 2011, were complaining about the commercialization of the “movement.” That’s what made it die, in their view (before any of the scandals blew up). The point is that they noticed it had instantly become a commodity, even though it had begun as a reaction against corporate mass commodification of the hobby. I would add that it was the sense that you could buy “authenticity” for your game (and sell it!) that made the OSR successful. Not that I oppose supporting independent producers of cool, fun games! (To me, what makes the NSR scene fresh is the abandoning any inkling of doing what was “original” and just doing what is fun in a rules-lite way instead.)

So, I’m in full agreement with those here who use the rules-lite systems they enjoy for light-hearted or hopeful or fanciful imaginary adventures with their friends, instead of using the game as a reminder that a horrible death can strike at any moment, and that investing in roles is not worth it, so just play the game as a game. If that’s your style, go for it–it can be lots of fun–but nobody needs to sign an oath of allegiance to grim, dark adventures to “do it right,” with any rule system.

10 Likes

If I may quote Cummings,

old age sticks
up Keep
Off
signs)&

youth yanks them
down(old

Tres)&(pas)
youth laughs
(sing
old age

scolds Forbid
den Stop
Must
n’t Don’t

&)youth goes
right on
gr
owing old

5 Likes

Absolutely agree, and, in that vein, I think we have seen an exploration of different tones and vibes that break with the pitch black tone that dominated a lot of 2010s OSR. And I’d like to see even more of that space explored.

Hopeful but dangerous, occasionally scary but also fun and funny, more wondrous than horrible, is the space that I most like to play in. I think Cosmic already described the vibe that I most often default to haha :slight_smile:

And I’d love to see more NSR-type stuff exploring that territory (it’s what I’m working on atm, as well)

In terms of other game recs, I would also check out Tunnel Goons, the many many TG hacks, and Nate Treme/Highland Paranormal Society’s stuff, in general. Great, rules-lite system, and a very lighthearted attitude. (I’m a big fan of Yokai Hunter, but that’s just one of the many many cool TG hacks out there): Tunnel Goons Resources — Highland Paranormal Society

5 Likes

I’m interested in what other mechanics you could introduce into a game to replace “losing HPs ends the game for your character” since pretty much all OSR games keep rules for this even when they throw away many other traditional rules.

A game where physical (or mental) trauma isn’t one of the main things a player is managing would be very interesting to me. I would still want players to be caring about some aspect of their character’s state, and playing the game would involve choosing actions that respect whatever economy this state implies. Something like ‘influence points’, say. The economy would obviously depend on what type of play you want to encourage or type of setting you seek to emulate. The tricky bit, I have always thought, is to find something visceral enough to track… HPs (or similar) imply violence, which implies drama, which is just so… primal.

4 Likes

In Dungeon World you would take the “Last Breath” move, which basically looks like this:

When you’re dying you catch a glimpse of what lies beyond The Black Gates of Death’s Kingdom (the GM will describe it). Then roll (just roll, +nothing).

• On a 10+, you’ve cheated Death — you’re in a bad spot but you’re still alive.
  • On a 7–9, Death himself will offer you a bargain. Take it and stabilize or refuse and pass beyond the Black Gates into whatever fate awaits you.
  • On 6-, your fate is sealed. You’re marked as Death’s own and you’ll cross the threshold soon. The GM will tell you when.
3 Likes

Call of Cthulhu with its Sanity points comes to mind first (along with alternatives to that mechanic in games emulating it). But if you are looking for something not traumatic, there is the effect of growing old in the saga-emulating game Pendragon (or Ars Magica, I suppose). But decline due to old age certainly lacks the visceral quality, doesn’t it?

What if there were a game in which the number of times a character could use a heroic power was finite–maybe large, but still finite–and when that power was exhausted, so was that character’s potential to be a hero, or at least to be extraordinary in that way?

A game with some economy system could end in bankruptcy or retirement, I suppose.

There’s the old way of post-heroism retirement going back to Arneson’s Blackmoor, where the dungeon adventures and annual wars ultimately were the back-story to the generals’ careers at the wargaming table.

Just throwing out ideas! Others, people?

6 Likes