What are you actually playing?

Looks like I’m going to be running some Spelljammer using the OSE Advanced rules and some choice tidbits of Player’s Option. Unfortunately, this is an in-person game so I won’t be sending out invitations.

3 Likes

Oh nice! Might be a nice opportunity to use material from the Planar Compass zines … or maybe just the $free Planar Compass character sheets for OSE, if you’ve seen those? The design looks really slick.

I’m GMing two:

Playtesting for my game Crescendo, which is a strange combo of Burning Wheel, Songbirds, Trophy, and Hearts of Wulin. The game itself is very rough, but it’s generating a good enough story to keep everyone in a good mood and want to continue. The story is about two river ports about to go to war… as a cult assembles the Shards of Typhon, King of Monsters. A wily gravedigger and an idealistic blacksmith have to figure out where they fit into the conflicts.

I’m about to start GMing a game of Burning Wheel, continuing a years long plot about the survival of the human Byzantine/Aztec inspired Argentum Empire. The sun vanished behind a perpetual cloud months ago, and things are getting desperate. Enter the dark elf who is pregnant with the last legitimate heir to the empire.

I’m looking to start regular playtesting for two more games of mine: SPACE OPERA EPISODE VIII, which is a high falutin one shot rooted in Trophy, and Tap-Tom Tap-Tom, an OSR pamphlet game. We’ll see if those get off the ground.

The kingdom building game with the kids in class keeps going on. Here’s what I just typed out. This time, with a map.

1 Like

Only the first two. I backed the Kickstarter.

1 Like

Another thing that happened yesterday. I got to play a game with a single kid in class because they others were picked up by parents because of a storm we were having.

1 Like

I am playing Wisk Burrows, a brave little gray mouse in Mausritter campaign with some added John Carpenter movies vibes.

3 Likes

Recently my gaming activity has picked up as a DM for a West Marches fantasy play by post campaign on Discord using The Black Hack 2e. It has been a fun experience as play by post and West Marches are new styles of play for me.

I am still trying to learn the flow of play by post and finding the balance of how much information to automatically provide has been tricky as a DM. It seems like giving more is generally better to keep it flowing. Those old habits of dramatic slow reveals at the table hold fast.

Playing old school fantasy is my least experienced genre and has been an interesting exercise. Surprisingly, I enjoy the genre more than anticipated. Running The Black Hack helps I think since it leans into the weird a bit more. Which gives me permission to feel less beholden to old tropes.

The most refreshing part has been flexing my improv abilities with a West Matches campaign. The setting framework is super minimal and beyond a short list of gods all the lore is player created. It gets a bit dicey making it all up on the fly, but when I get invested players it becomes a breeze. Also my appreciation for modular procedures has exploded. Much love to the Necropraxis Hazard System, Trilemma’s Wilderness Path generator, and Graven Utterance’s Recluse.

2 Likes

I just started running Mothership, had our second game this past Friday. Wrote a few blog posts about the game.

So far - really fun.

4 Likes

Drifting afield of my prior plans of running an old-school Spelljammer game in an old-school ruleset, I am currently pondering mashing up the Spelljammer and Dragonstar settings-- with a bunch of other sci-fi JRPG nonsense-- in a simplified and reconciled mashup of the d20 Modern and Pathfinder 1e rulesets.

2 Likes

I realized I never actually described the games! A good few of them have tapered off, sadly.
Here’s the big 'ol list:
Dawn White: My 3-year Pokemon campaign set in Unova using Pokemon Zero
Mawbrooke: A gonzo acid fantasy setting using Cairn, currently running through a modified Demon Driven to the Maw
The Doctorate: A Messerspiel game set in Doskvol, where the PCs are doctors that rebelled against the way the medicine system works.
Star Syndicate: A Shonen Anime Messerspiel game set in the world of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, specifically 2000s New York.
Keep on the Borderlands: Using an unpublished open strategy / skirmish game and the Beyond the Borderlands content, a game in which each player controls a faction in Stronglaw Keep.
Circumvolution Convocation: A game of rotating one-shots. Currently doing a forest horror game with I Bury the Gods.

I’m currently playing in @MichaelRaston’s Empyrean Dynasty and @RevenantQuill’s Hyperdrift Stories.

3 Likes

We played a game in class yesterday!

2 Likes

If anyone’s looking for a weird and messy investigation in a small town in the middle of nowhere, give Gnomes of Levnek a try.

I just ran session 2 of it and I’m loving it.

4 Likes

I will play soon some games of Cairn in presence. I will introduce to OSR some people coming from 5e and some story games.

It has been a while since I have played in person with paper and real dice. Sure, I will continue to play across Roll20 my actual campaigns with @zeruhur and the other folks online. But I’m happy to have an outlet in real life to play analog as well now that the pandemic is under control.

2 Likes

In March and April, I will be running a short in-person campaign of Vaesen from Free League (Vaesen review on Youtube here) and some online games of Trophy Gold. I ran session 1 of Vaesen yesterday, and it was a big hit!

1 Like

Most Recent:

Ongoing:

Staples at my table:

3 Likes

Some more classroom adventures! Kids On The Borderland: The Adventures of Jason the Ninja - Part 1: Sir Richard Bluecarrot the Knight.

Things have changed a LOT since last time I posted.

Currently running a mosaic game island campaign at home, simplified 5e with students…

And now planning a Good Society game with mostly RPG newbies, it will be my first PbtA in a WHILE.

Might also be running Labyrinth soon for family.

In addition I’ve gotten to play a surprising number of Fiasco pick up games. I will never not say yes to Fiasco.

Oh, and I have been dabbling with various solo games trying to find something that will make it click for me.

4 Likes

I recently was able to go to an RPG day in Antwerp. I was going to play but ended up running a Micheal Prescott (Trilemma) location (The Full-Dark Stone) using RISUS, translating on the fly, making ‘mistakes’ to the original adventure, which just means that to our truth, the original adventure had it wrong, right? Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I blurted out some thoughts about it here: Playing with adults in Antwerp

3 Likes

I’m going to plan to do a lot more solo TTRPGs:
Amanda’s Pilgrimage of the Sun Guard
Tam’s Verses: The Last Blade
And perhaps a Solo adventure for Cairn - not sure which one yet, or if there is one. happy to take recommendations. Could try convert… but not sure…

Oh also in a Play By Post for The Organ Stays - Gm’d by Amanda as well :slight_smile: - so far its quite fun!

3 Likes